|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=2de373538762c60718c026c5edc6be13 profile.php?mode=register&sid=2de373538762c60718c026c5edc6be13 faq.php?sid=2de373538762c60718c026c5edc6be13 search.php?sid=2de373538762c60718c026c5edc6be13

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » nawcc issues and ideas » Chapter support? Goto page 1, 2  Next
Chapter support?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

For well over a decade I have heard and read about the members' belief about the lack of chapter support from the national headquarters. Like many I believe one of the sources for new memberships for the NAWCC is through grass roots organizing/promotions--what better way than through chapters. While most chapter are losing members, why not begin gross roots campaigns and assist chapters in doing so?

This begs the question why doesn't the assoc. try some of the following:

1. Do a chapter of the month in the bulletin--discuss and talk about what specific chapters provide

2. Give chapters seed money for membership drives within their city/state areas

3. Open up all marts to the public and provide a specific area (how about the lobby) for chapter tables to educate and capture (hopefully) new members through local areas of the country

4. Do a bi-weekly chapter promotion on the nawcc home page of the web site? (The home page needs new ideas and new promotions other than the same old dealer ads and requests for monies, estates from members.)

5. Lastly: CHAPTER 149 HAS FOR DECADES NOW BEEN BURIED ON THE LAST PAGE OF THE CHAPTER LISTINGS/LOCATIONS AS A "SPECIALITY CHAPTER". IT SEEMS THAT NO OFFICERS, DIRECTORS, MOVERS OR SHAKERS WITHIN THE ORGANIZATION WANTS TO NOTE THAT CHAPTER 149 WAS THE ORIGINAL NAWCC INTERNET CHAPTER AND IS ALIVE AND WELL. WHILE OUR TITLE IS THE EARLY AMERICAN WATCH CLUB MAY BE A BIT MISLEADING, WE DO MANY THINGS SUCH AS COLLECTING, RESEARCH AND STUDY BESIDES WHAT OUR TITLE CONVEYS--INC. CLOCKS, REPAIR, FOREIGN WATCHES, WRIST WRIST WATCHES, WATCH MATERIAL, DOLLAR WATCHES, TOOL COLLECTING, CHRONOMETER BOX RESTORATIONS, HOROLOGICAL BOOKS, A MART, PHOTOS OF THE WEEK OR MNTH AND DISCUSSION ON JUST ABOUT ANYTHING HOROLOGICAL

I BELIEVE IT IS LONG OVER DUE THAT CHAPTER 149 GETS ITS WELL DESERVED RECOGNITION FOR ALL THAT THE EARLY AMERICAN WATCH CLUB AND ITS MEMBERS HAVE ACHIEVED!

JON HANSON, FOUNDER AND PRESIDENT
FIFTY YEAR MEMBER

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:34 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

Chapters could be an enormous resource of potential new members if the NAWCC would simply set them free.

Alas they have never been willing to do that.

The basic underlying problem is that the NAWCC sees chapters as a members perk for NAWCC members only and I can not see any easy way to change that belief.

They simply do not have enough belief in their own product.

A much better option would be to open up chapter membership and create a pool of potential new NAWCC members as people enter the hobby at chapter level and grow into it at their own pace.

Voluntary membership of any organization is always better than forced membership.

Proud member of CH149 and Global Horology
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:58 pm Reply with quote
interstatetime
Chapter Officer

Jon,

I agree with all of what you say with the possible exception of giving the chapters seed money... We don't have the money to do that right now and I think there are probably things besides money we might offer that would help more. I think when we get a new website there will be a lot more on it for chapters and for people looking for chapters. We have had some setbacks on the new website front but all of the "movers and shakers" believe that the National needs to do more to promote and help the chapters.

Stephan,

I know that a lot of the Aussie chapters would like to be set free. However I believe is is a bad policy for the NAWCC to allow people to take advantage of belonging to a chapter without some kind of NAWCC membership. It just doesn't make any sense to me (speaking for myself). I do think some kind of accommodation might be made for overseas members who can't take advantage of some of the things members in North America can but I think you still need to be a member of the NAWCC.

John Cote (Member #105)
Membership Chairman - Ch-149
Past President - Ch-18
http://www.interstatetime.com
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:13 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

interstatetime wrote:

Stephan,

I know that a lot of the Aussie chapters would like to be set free. However I believe is is a bad policy for the NAWCC to allow people to take advantage of belonging to a chapter without some kind of NAWCC membership. It just doesn't make any sense to me (speaking for myself). I do think some kind of accommodation might be made for overseas members who can't take advantage of some of the things members in North America can but I think you still need to be a member of the NAWCC.

Tis not just Aussi Chapters. They are pretty free already.
There are numerous other chapters remote from the main action who do not gain much from NAWCC membership. For all those people the only thing that NAWCC membership does is add a huge cost increase to their Chapter membership fees.

This site is a perfect example.
The first ( and best ) internet site for Early American watch collectors.

How many more might have joined if they did not have to join the NAWCC first.

They may then grow in the hobby and go on to join the NAWCC but as it is they see that initial impost for no perceived benefit and they go off to the next web site or to face book.

The current arrangement does not benefit Chapters. Only the NAWCC who offer it up as a members perk which it should not be.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Sangamo
Chapter Member

For YEARS it seems like you have simply not understood what a "chapter" is...
they are a "chapter" of the NAWCC

IF you want something independent, create your own or steal one like the someone did with 185...
Evil or Very Mad [/b]

just to note "the someone" is an automatic word replacement for a person that was expelled from the NAWCC, software will not accept his name... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:03 pm Reply with quote
rpnewman
Chapter Member

Jon, I think your ideas have merit and many things are, and should be, taking place in support of chapters. Firstly, one of our 5 core areas of focus discussed & agreed just last Fall included "Increase Chapter Support, Engagement & Partnering with HQ". So, working better with chapters that want National's help is a goal and the Board and Tom has made a point to engage with chapters as much as possible. I've been traveling the country (on my own dime) as has Tom Wilcox to listen to issues, think about changes needed in our committees, and try to get chapters more involved in sharing their successes and learnings with other chapters. We had a very well-attended meeting with chapter officers at the last National to do just that.

As you can imagine, the NAWCC receives ideas and suggestions all the time and its completely impossible to allocate staff to look into them. For certain, we don't have enough staff or resources to even do all the things that the Board and Management has in the queue to do ASAP. For good or bad, we're better setup to handle ideas that come through our committees where volunteers on the committee are able to discuss, prioritize and make many changes directly. Committees have enormous ability to make changes - - rarely do their efforts require a rules change that requires involvement from the Board. We are short on skills and effort on many of our committees so a great way to help is to find people that are willing to put in the time and effort themselves. I would be grateful to get any names and glad to discuss needs with anyone. The key areas that also align with many of your suggestions are 1) Membership Committee, 2) Chapter Relations and 3) Convention Committee.

My thoughts on your specific points:

1) Chapter of the Month in the Bulletin.
Rich: The Mart has always devoted space in each issue for Chapters to promote themselves and their members & I hope you are taking full advantage of that. Using scarce pages in the Bulletin would need to be carefully considered, not to mention that it would take ages to get through all the Chapters, but is an idea to be considered.

2) Seed money for chapters.
Rich: The National has always been open to allocating funds to attract members in a coordinated manner that is managed and executed by our staff through the Membership Committee. Just handing money to chapters wouldn't in my view be workable for many reasons.

3) Open Marts to the public / provide space for chapters to educate and capture members
Rich: Increasingly, regional events and national conventions have moved both the primary day of the show and public day to Saturday & Membership Committee continues to look at ways to engage the public and better advertise. Clearly much can be done with a better website and better social media promotion of events. Regarding chapters, the National in York had an entire section of the mart dedicated to specialty chapters (tables at n/c) which worked very well. Incredibly, many members are not aware of chapters so that's an opportunity for the (new) website.

4) Bi-weekly chapter promotion on the website
Rich: A complete makeover of our website is the priority and we will hopefully have much improved ability to promote chapters in the future. Regarding advertising on the website, I know its popular to discredit using space on the website for advertising and fundraising however its 100% necessary and achieving results intended. Nearly 100% of members that I talk to who contribute to the NAWCC have no issues with advertising and year-round fundraising campaigns that has (hopefully) stopped the need to raise membership dues. I'm in favor of every successful revenue generator that avoids raising dues. We should have started these fundraising activities 20-30 years ago.

5) #149 recognition
Rich: I honestly want to better understand what you would like National to do. All chapters are treated the same as far as I'm aware. As an example, British Horology (one I'm quite familiar with) has published original research, given lectures & exhibits for 25 straight years. Cogs, Carriage Clocks and others also do unique things that they are equally very proud of. They are all "original" at something as is #149. No question that #149 is also a great chapter and one that I talk about in the same way that I talk about other chapters. All chapters have similar links, etc. from nawcc.com. For sure we can do better to promote all chapters. Glad to look at a better name than "Specialty Chapters" or other ideas.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:32 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

Sangamo wrote:
For YEARS it seems like you have simply not understood what a "chapter" is...
they are a "chapter" of the NAWCC

IF you want something independent, create your own or steal one like the someone did with 185...
Evil or Very Mad [/b]

just to note "the someone" is an automatic word replacement for a person that was expelled from the NAWCC, software will not accept his name... Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

To answer this I will ask some questions. Please think about the answers.

1/ Is a Chapter formed by the NAWCC or by a group of people who happen to be NAWCC members ?

2/ If a Chapter gets into financial trouble do the NAWCC bail it out or do they have to bail themselves out ?

3/ If a Chapter member has a problem with his chapter does the NAWCC step in legally or does the NAWCC member have to take action himself against the Chapter, not the NAWCC.

4/ Of all the chapters that have failed in the last 15 years how many has the NAWCC saved ?

I fully understand that there is a strong relationship between Chapters and the NAWCC but I still believe they are legally separate organizations
and as such each should be allowed to determine their own fate.

The NAWCC does not require its members to join a chapter does it ???
That would be a very small impost on them as chapter fees are much less.

How come it only works one way ?

Regarding that someone here is the final question.
What did the NAWCC do about it. ?????????????????????

I can answer that. They told the Chapter members to go find a lawyer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:57 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

Thank you for your introspective reply, Rich. I'll begin with item #5.

International Chapters

Select a National Flag below to view NAWCC Chapters in that Country:

Australia Canada China Japan Switzerland United Kingdom
australia canada china japan switzerland greatbritain
SPECIAL INTEREST CHAPTERS

Are you interested in alarm clocks, British horology, carriage clocks, early American watches, electrical clocks, horological art, wood works clocks, and other special areas of horology? Check out our Special Interest Chapters.

Click HERE to view our Special Interest Chapters.

Why is it that special interest chapters take a back seat to everyone else?

But, I'll begin with a little history lesson for you (inc. #5)........Chapter 149 was a for several years a "land" based chapter (we met weekly for dinner and show and tell)--it was changed by the assoc. brass who (incorrectly) decided it to be a speciality chapter which it never was. I would think that the nawcc brass would have had the decency to notify the found/president (me) of the change. I only found out about the change by reading the bulletin several months after the change. ANYWAY, I have noted to you that Chapter 149 is the only fully internet nawcc chapter AND no one knows this except our 149 members (including you, Rich). Don't you find this curious? In my opinion Chapter 149 has been placed in a box discarded in the corner. In fact only recently someone on the NAWCC MB requested info about the chapter's life! I believe it is time to properly note 149 as an internet chapter which obviously will increase our visibility and interest.

Furthermore, I think members and prospective members alike would show an interest in the chapter if there was exposure--this is up to the assoc. I get the occasional request to join 149 from non assoc. members, but I always maintain that these folks must FIRST join the NAWCC. I view this procedure as backwards.

#2 Now lets discuss my note of seed money--the nawcc is in one geographical location but chapters are in many (175 or whatever the number) spread out in many areas and states. Would it not be wise for chapters to be association bidding, meaning spreading the local word? I can envision chapters doing city/county exhibits, displays, talks, lectures and have OPEN MARTS exposing perspective members to the great hobby of horology and study, research, educating, trading, etc. I can guarantee you that myself and other business oriented members friends of mine could find assoc. waste. Or, what about a special nawcc MB area for chapter advanced discussions (149 included) with a monthly donation a la as the current MB has to raise money? (Were you aware that chapter 149 once had it on special line items and later its own special area on the NAWCC MB?)

#1 The bulletin: I think you have missed my point. I think a monthly article about chapters in detail (like a watch or clock article) would promote chapters for the national members.

I also think the current chapter listing is very poor. The assoc home page should have an area of the country listings (by states) of chapters along with contact information to make it easy for national members or prospective ones to get information on joining at either level. (I get a ton of watch info requests, so why not add club and national functions/explanation info?) All tell watch and clock chapter if and stories monthly or bi monthly in the bulletin.

#3 It appears that you are dancing around this never ending issue. OPEN ALL MARTS, PERIOD! Let the outsiders see what is inside!

Of course, there are many other good ideas and discussions that I can make (what happened to those advance discussions with TW that board members JC proposed?), but i guess that ship has sailed........I hope you read-re-read these specific discussions I have presented here.

Sincerely,

Jon Hanson

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

In my opinion Chapter 149 has been placed in a box discarded in the corner. In fact only recently someone on the NAWCC MB requested info about the chapter's life! I believe it is time to properly note 149 as an internet chapter which obviously will increase our visibility and interest.

Jon - This is correct and things will not change any time soon because the NAWCC does not want further competition to its own internet site.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:35 pm Reply with quote
HOWARD
Chapter Member

[quote="StephanG"

Jon - This is correct and things will not change any time soon because the NAWCC does not want further competition to its own internet site.[/quote]

This is rather laughable because without Ch. 149 it is a NAWCC loss. There is so much misinformation, half-truths, speculation and ego maniacs there anything would be an improvement. And remember I was a moderator there for what was it 3 or more years?.

Howard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:23 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

HOWARD wrote:
[quote="StephanG"

Jon - This is correct and things will not change any time soon because the NAWCC does not want further competition to its own internet site.

This is rather laughable because without Ch. 149 it is a NAWCC loss. There is so much misinformation, half-truths, speculation and ego maniacs there anything would be an improvement. And remember I was a moderator there for what was it 3 or more years?.

Howard[/quote]

It would not be a NAWCC loss because they don't own it to begin with.

I am a member of the local MG car club. They have what they call registers.

The "B" register and the " A " register and the Ladies, youth, racing, restorers, touring, historic, etc etc etc. At least 20 of them.

These are separate groups you can join WITHIN the club.
They have their own officers and raise their own funds but it all sits within the club and if one goes south any funds or assets remain within the club and get re deployed. They run their own events and even have their own meetings, usually in the club premises but not always.
They report their activities in the CLUB newsletter and at club meetings.

Chapters are not like that. They sit apart.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:36 pm Reply with quote
rpnewman
Chapter Member

Jon, appreciate your input. Below my opinion within your text.

International Chapters

Are you interested in alarm clocks, British horology, carriage clocks, early American watches, electrical clocks, horological art, wood works clocks, and other special areas of horology? Check out our Special Interest Chapters.

Rich: I agree 100% that the functionality is poor and hopefully that will be addressed on the new website. I don't believe changing the order to put "Special Interest Chapters" before "International Chapters" would make a difference. Both are bold and easily seen within the same section of the page; none of the other 15 Special Interest Chapter have complained about the order, however, I'm sure there are better ways to display all chapters - - as said, I think the functionality of the whole "find a chapter" page is poor.

But, I'll begin with a little history lesson for you (inc. #5)........Chapter 149 was a for several years a "land" based chapter (we met weekly for dinner and show and tell)--it was changed by the assoc. brass who (incorrectly) decided it to be a speciality chapter which it never was. I would think that the nawcc brass would have had the decency to notify the found/president (me) of the change. I only found out about the change by reading the bulletin several months after the change. ANYWAY, I have noted to you that Chapter 149 is the only fully internet nawcc chapter AND no one knows this except our 149 members (including you, Rich). Don't you find this curious? In my opinion Chapter 149 has been placed in a box discarded in the corner. In fact only recently someone on the NAWCC MB requested info about the chapter's life! I believe it is time to properly note 149 as an internet chapter which obviously will increase our visibility and interest.

Rich: I don't find it curios at all. I honestly don't know if researchers or collectors care who was first 20 – 30 years ago, most I suspect only care about here and now. I also reject the notion that #149 has been placed in a box discarded in the corner, unless one argues that ALL chapters should be treated better. I agree 100% with that. As said, there is an effort taking place to better partner with all chapters.

Furthermore, I think members and prospective members alike would show an interest in the chapter if there was exposure--this is up to the assoc. I get the occasional request to join 149 from non assoc. members, but I always maintain that these folks must FIRST join the NAWCC. I view this procedure as backwards.

#2 Now lets discuss my note of seed money--the nawcc is in one geographical location but chapters are in many (175 or whatever the number) spread out in many areas and states. Would it not be wise for chapters to be association bidding, meaning spreading the local word? I can envision chapters doing city/county exhibits, displays, talks, lectures and have OPEN MARTS exposing perspective members to the great hobby of horology and study, research, educating, trading, etc. I can guarantee you that myself and other business oriented members friends of mine could find assoc. waste. Or, what about a special nawcc MB area for chapter advanced discussions (149 included) with a monthly donation a la as the current MB has to raise money? (Were you aware that chapter 149 once had it on special line items and later its own special area on the NAWCC MB?)

Rich: I have no issue with helping to raise money for chapters on nawcc.com as you suggest. Having the national partner with a chapter to develop advertising / promotional membership campaigns, educational programs, etc. is certainly also a possibility.

#1 The bulletin: I think you have missed my point. I think a monthly article about chapters in detail (like a watch or clock article) would promote chapters for the national members.

Rich: Articles in the W&C Bulletin are a great way to draw attention to chapters. I received thousands of hits on my research website after publishing article(s). We do not have writers on staff. Why not take some of the great research you've done and submit an article that could also inform readers about #149.

I also think the current chapter listing is very poor. The assoc home page should have an area of the country listings (by states) of chapters along with contact information to make it easy for national members or prospective ones to get information on joining at either level. (I get a ton of watch info requests, so why not add club and national functions/explanation info?) All tell watch and clock chapter if and stories monthly or bi monthly in the bulletin.

Rich: Agree that the functionality is poor and must be improved.

#3 It appears that you are dancing around this never ending issue. OPEN ALL MARTS, PERIOD! Let the outsiders see what is inside!

Rich: Regional and Nationals have attempted various strategies to attract the public. Some have opened the mart and advertised and even had reduced registration. For certain, chapters who run regional events will not go for opening the mart at n/c to the public as long as members and/or table holders have to pay. Is that what you mean by "open all marts"? Please explain.
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

rpnewman wrote:
Jon, appreciate your input. Below my opinion within your text.

International Chapters

Rich: I agree 100% that the functionality is poor and hopefully that will be addressed on the new website. I don't believe changing the order to put "Special Interest Chapters" before "International Chapters" would make a difference. Both are bold and easily seen within the same section of the page; none of the other 15 Special Interest Chapter have complained about the order, however, I'm sure there are better ways to display all chapters - - as said, I think the functionality of the whole "find a chapter" page is poor.

JON'S ADD: AGREED. DO A RUNNING PRINTED LIST OF CHAPTERS AND THEIR LOCATIONS, OFFICERS, CONTACT INFORMATION, FUNCTIONS, ADGENDAS, MARTS, PERKS, TIMES AND PLACES.

Rich: I don't find it curios at all. I honestly don't know if researchers or collectors care who was first 20 – 30 years ago, most I suspect only care about here and now. I also reject the notion that #149 has been placed in a box discarded in the corner, unless one argues that ALL chapters should be treated better. I agree 100% with that. As said, there is an effort taking place to better partner with all chapters.

JON'S REPLY: OBVIOUSLY YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE ISSUE WHICH BEGAN 30 YEARS AGO. THE POINT--THERE IS NO CHAPTER 149 (AND OTHERS) IDENTIFICATION AS TO WHAT OUR CHPTER IS OR DOES. CHAPTER 149 IS THE ONLY FULL SERVICE INTERNET CHAPTER! I SINCERELY DOUBT IF ANY READ THE SPECIAL INTEREST AREA AND/OR DO NOT UNDER STAND WHAT/WHO IS 149.

Rich: I have no issue with helping to raise money for chapters on nawcc.com as you suggest. Having the national partner with a chapter to develop advertising / promotional membership campaigns, educational programs, etc. is certainly also a possibility.

JON'S REPLY: MY POINT IS THAT POSSIBLY MEMBERSHIP DRIVES OUGHT TO BE TRIED AT THE GRASS ROOTS LEVEL VIA THE CHAPTERS REACHING OUT TO THEIR RESPECTIVE COMMUNITIES.

Rich: Articles in the W&C Bulletin are a great way to draw attention to chapters. I received thousands of hits on my research website after publishing article(s). We do not have writers on staff. Why not take some of the great research you've done and submit an article that could also inform readers about #149.

Rich: Agree that the functionality is poor and must be improved.

JON'S REPLY: WHY CAN'T INDIVIDUAL CHAPTER MEMBERS WRITE THEIR OWN RESPECTIVE CHAPTER BIOGRAPHIES FOR BULLETIN PUBLICATION?

Rich: Regional and Nationals have attempted various strategies to attract the public. Some have opened the mart and advertised and even had reduced registration. For certain, chapters who run regional events will not go for opening the mart at n/c to the public as long as members and/or table holders have to pay. Is that what you mean by "open all marts"? Please explain.

JON'S REPLY: STILL DANCING. OBVIOUSLY THE PARTIAL OPENING UP OF MARTS HAS NOT WORKED. THE MOST IMPORTANT OPENING UP TO THE "OUTSIDERS" (OR NON MEMBERS) WOULD BE THROUGH MAJOR MARTS RUN BY THE NATIONAL ORGANIZATION. HEREIN LIES MY EVER OFFERED SOLUTION OF 4 (N, E, S, AND WEST) NATIONALLY RUN CONVENTIONS/MARTS FULLY OPEN TO THE PUBLIC. THIS WOULD PROMOTE ADDED EXPOSURE AND ALLOW MEMBERS THROUGHOUT THE COURTY TO ATTEND AND PARTICIPATE AT THE BIG ONES (MARTS, LECTURES, DISPLAYS, ETC.

Here is another idea I have had for many years: WHY NOT FEATURE A CATALOGUED AUCTION RUN BY A MAJOR AUCTION HOUSE AT THE ANUAL/SEMI ANUAL CONVENTIONS/MARTS ON THE LAST DAY TO KEEP DEALERS, MEMBERS AND OUTSIDERS FROM LEAVING EARLY? THERE ALSO COULD BE A LAST MINUTE "BULLET" AUCTION FOR LAST MINUTE UNSOLD CONSIGNMENT MART ITEMS.

Again, thanks for reading and sincerely,

Jon Hanson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:19 am Reply with quote
interstatetime
Chapter Officer

Jon wrote:

Here is another idea I have had for many years: WHY NOT FEATURE A CATALOGUED AUCTION RUN BY A MAJOR AUCTION HOUSE AT THE ANUAL/SEMI ANUAL CONVENTIONS/MARTS ON THE LAST DAY TO KEEP DEALERS, MEMBERS AND OUTSIDERS FROM LEAVING EARLY? THERE ALSO COULD BE A LAST MINUTE "BULLET" AUCTION FOR LAST MINUTE UNSOLD CONSIGNMENT MART ITEMS.

Jon, I think perhaps you and I have talked about this before. I think this is an idea with a lot of merit and should definitely be explored.

John Cote (Member #105)
Membership Chairman - Ch-149
Past President - Ch-18
http://www.interstatetime.com
PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:25 pm Reply with quote
StephanG
Friend of 149

Here is something I have noticed.

With all the talk about closed auctions or closed marts etc etc I wonder what the reason for that might be.

I assume there is some benefit to be had by members that is not available to non members but I am still wondering what that might be.

Of all the auctions and sales I have looked at where the seller notes that he IS a NAWCC member I do not recall seeing any special bonus or service or discount being offered to fellow members or to the GP that makes that seller stand out from the rest.

Free or discount shipping to NAWCC members, Some sort of extra warranty, a bonus gift box, a better return policy, a free appraisal of value, certificate of authenticity, nothing.

Might this not be an area that the NAWCC could work on to provide something that members could offer that non members could not.

At the very least it would provide a marketing opportunity.

Chapter support?
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » nawcc issues and ideas