|  Chapter 149 Web Site |  Kirx Klox Special Project |  CH 149 MENTORS | 
CHAPTER 149, THE LEADING COLLECTOR'S HOROLOGICAL CLUB, ASSISTS AND EDUCATES ITS MEMBERS>>KEEP UP WITH CURRENT RESEARCH!
WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board

The original NAWCC internet chapter
established July 8th, 1990
President & Admin; Jon Hanson
Admin: John LaCambria

Chapter 149, protecting our passion one watch at a time!

Read our Standards of Conduct

login.php?sid=4d4305db4cd73af366a27001a80f7bd4 profile.php?mode=register&sid=4d4305db4cd73af366a27001a80f7bd4 faq.php?sid=4d4305db4cd73af366a27001a80f7bd4 search.php?sid=4d4305db4cd73af366a27001a80f7bd4

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » English watch discussions » Penlington Movement
Penlington Movement
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:53 pm Reply with quote
omexa reborn
Chapter Member

Hi I purchased this because of the very long Balance Screws and 20 of them. Regards Ray

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:53 pm Reply with quote
omexa reborn
Chapter Member

Photo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:54 pm Reply with quote
omexa reborn
Chapter Member

Photo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:55 pm Reply with quote
omexa reborn
Chapter Member

Photo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:56 pm Reply with quote
omexa reborn
Chapter Member

"Sunnybank
Joseph Penlington, a watch and chronometer maker, lived and worked at the cottage known as Sunnybank, Chapel Street, now called Speke Road, Woolton. The cottage was eventually sold by his daughter. Police Orphanage
The idea for a police orphanage was first suggested in 1887. The project had the full support of the head constables of Liverpool and Manchester and Mr. Russell of West Riding, Yorkshire. Also, Archdeacon Clarke of Southport also gave help with the undertaking.

The orphanage was established as the Liverpool & Bootle Police Orphanage and the proposed financial arrangements were that each man would pay a five shillings entrance fee to the scheme and a subscription of one penny each week. The scheme was regarded as favourable given that it covered the northern counties, with no fewer than four thousand police.

The next task was to choose a suitable home and this was done in 1896 with the acquisition of Sunnybank, from Joseph Penlington's daughter, by the Liverpool & Bootle Police Orphanage committee who purchased the estate for the sum of £2,650. The orphanage was formally opened in October this same year by the Countess of Derby. After the opening ceremony the Countess inspected the orphanage and was later presented with a gold key, made by Elkington & Co, which bore the heraldic crest of the City of Liverpool encircled with the words: Liverpool & Bootle Police Orphanage, October 1896."
£2,650. is a lot of money in those days 1896. Regards Ray

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 4:58 pm Reply with quote
omexa reborn
Chapter Member

Penlington was rather Rich the House was Big.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Jon
Chapter President

Great info and beautiful photos! Thanks, Ray.

Jon

SUPPORT ETHICAL PRACTICES IN HOROLOGY--Keep watches original--DO NOT SWITCH, PART OUT OR "CREATE" PW abortions!
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:07 pm Reply with quote
omexa reborn
Chapter Member

Here is another Penlington movement and I have a Kew A Penlington movement which I will post at a later date.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:39 am Reply with quote
omexa reborn
Chapter Member

Hi, I received this from a friend who I have known for about 20 years; I sent him photos of the Pocket Watch movement. Regards Ray "Dear Ray,

Your Penlington movement seems to be of very good quality. I think it must date from the early 1850s, with an early example of the recessed seconds dial. I have No. 8943, which is a tiny full-plate with a flat-rimmed brass balance, a double-ended winding-square and a very archaic convex dial; I thought at first it must date from the 1830s, but even before seeing your example I realised it must be at least twenty years later. I suspect the extravagant balance screws are just for show; certainly the only true chronometer I have (James Hatton, c. 1815) has a much less formidable array (see attached image).

You have seen many more watches and movements than I have; did you ever meet with another English backplate with 'detached lever' or anything similar included in the inscription? This, combined with the facility of setting the hands from the back, makes me think that this movement may have been intended for the European market or perhaps for those Americans who usually bought Swiss watches; I say this because, of course, Swiss makers often specified the type of escapement in the cuvette lettering.

The inverted cannon-pinion, held by a pin which must also pass right through the centre-wheel arbor, is another interesting feature. I wish this was done more often! I have several times had a good watch spoiled as a timekeeper because the cannon-pinion has worked loose so that the hands, instead of moving in unison with the centre arbor, drag against each other and fall behind.

Kind regards,

Oliver."

WORLDWIDE Chapter 149 Message Board Forum Index » English watch discussions